Thursday, March 14, 2013

St. Patrick's Day

I have always loved St. Patrick's Day.  I guess it's the wee bit of Irish blood in me.  I love corned beef, cabbage, soda bread, and Guinness! I love the color green.  So Pig Pig put on his best shamrock and did a jig.



 The story of St. Patrick, the patron saint of Ireland, has always been somewhat of a mystery to me. So, this year I went on a quest to learn more on one of Christianity's most widely known figures.

Patrick, who was born in Roman Britain (which made him a Briton) in the fourth century. At age 16 he was kidnapped and was sold as a slave to a Druid chieftain.  He worked as a herdsman (pigs or sheep) for the six years he was held captive.  He was a devout Christian, and it was in the fields were he found solace in prayer and petition.

According to St. Patrick's writing, a Voice (whom he believed to be God) spoke to him in a dream and told him to leave Ireland.  Patrick escaped, walking nearly 200 miles to the Irish coast. He then fled to Britain where he then experienced another revelation from God;  to return to Ireland as a missionary.

Patrick was ordained a priest, then later a bishop. He was sent to carry the Gospel to Ireland around 433 AD.  He converted many to Christianity, baptized over 120,000 and established at least 300 churches in his 29 year ministry. He wrote in his letter the Declaration (latin: Confessio) :

I pray those who believe and fear God, whosoever deigns to look at or receive this writing which Patrick, a sinner, unlearned, has composed in Ireland, that no one should ever say that it was my ignorance if I did or showed forth anything however small according to God's good pleasure; but let this be your conclusion and let it so be thought, that - as is the perfect truth - it was the gift of God. This is my confession before I die.


As for the Shamrock....it was used to visually demonstrate the concept of the Trinity while trying to convert pagans to Christianity.  Something I also used to explain Father, Son, and Holy Spirit to my kids (as there are a million in my front yard).


I like St. Patrick's Day even more now... a day of remembering the unwavering devotion of a man that dedicated his life to bringing the Gospel....the message of Freedom... to a country which once held him captive.


No comments:

Post a Comment